Saturday, March 15, 2008

Severe Weather

Wow, I was working on the computer on the night of the 13th (last night), and Kelly came in and told me the roof of the Georgia Dome had just blown off! I was like, whaaaaatt! So I went in to watch the coverage on television. It was shocking, and I am sure there were a lot of freaked out people at the SEC Basketball championship too. One guy said he thought it was a terrorist attack.

We all later found out, that a F2 tornado did hit downtown Atlanta, and tore a 6 mile, 300 yard wide path. The scary thing, obviously, this was at night, so nobody could see it. I am surprised nobody died. Atlanta is huge, and has millions of people right where it hit. Amazing.

That wasn't all!

Today I woke up to a helluva storm. It was raining so hard outside you could not see out the window! I was thinking to myself, not me!

The day went well, until about 9AM when all hell broke loose in Georgia. Storms were racing out of Alabama at 60 MPH right for Atlanta. They were training, which means one red blob after another on the radar. One hit Atlanta, no tornado. One hit polk county, and it caused loss of life. Another one hit Atlanta and it too caused a loss of life. These storms were racing toward us. There was rotation everywhere, funnel clouds, baseball size hail, etc. I thought it was the end of the world. Then, one of those pesky things, flew right to the house. It was so dark outside I thought it was night. All of a sudden it rained as if you were in a hurricane. My wife, daughter and I ran to the basement, while the storm kicked ass outside. It lasted 10 minutes, and it was blue sky again.

After it was all said and done they estimated 300 million dollars in damages just to Atlanta. I have seen the footage, its sad!!

Thank God we are okay!

No comments: