Thursday, December 07, 2006

Hospital Visit

As I sit here in the hospital room with my wife, calmly on the fetal monitor, I keep wondering when our daughter will make her appearance official. This is our fifth visit to the hospital for contractions in about as many days it seems. We are always in here, just to play things safe, ya know? And every single time, they monitor Kelly for a while, then release us on good health, and are told things are normal. Well, tonight they did some extensive testing. First they put Kelly on the fetal monitor. Then they asked the usual questions. They then got a urine sample, took a ton of blood, and hooked her up to IV fluids! It was major. We got here at 11PM, and arent supposed to leave until 7AM, so needless to say we are both tired, frustrated, and ready for this to be over with and be able to hold our daughter. So at 7AM we finally left the hospital. The doctor said things were fine, her cervix was not opening at all, and the contractions were fine. They said she will be fine until Christmas, but we will have to see on that one. They also said if the contractions are closer than four minutes apart, to come back in. At that time, they will administer steroids to develop Olivia's lungs, and then, we will wait some more at the hospital.

Frustrating, happy, beautiful, mad, worried, glad, sad, happy, excited, emotional, complete. Just a few of the emotions that run through you at any one time when you are expecting a child. I would not trade this experience for anything in the world. I am the happiest father on the planet. I just wish my wife didnt have to hurt so much. I keep telling her, it will be over soon! Probably before or around Christmas. I always wanted a Christmas baby. We will see.

No comments: